Hy-Ex 1.0K & 1.4K Exterior Wall
or Roof Mount Ventilator
PLEASE READ AND SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
IMPORTANT: Save these instructions for the Local Electrical Inspector’s use.
INSTALLER: Please leave these Installation Instructions with this unit for the owner
OWNER: Please retain these instructions for future reference.
WARNING - TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE, ELECTRIC SHOCK, OR INJURY TO PERSONS,
OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING:
1. Use this unit in the manner intended by the manufacturer.
If you have questions, contact the manufacturer.
2. Before installation, servicing or cleaning unit, switch power off at the service panel and lock the service disconnecting means to prevent power from being switched on accidentally. When the service disconnecting means cannot be locked, securely fasten a prominent warning device, such as a tag, to the service panel.
3. Installation work and electrical wiring must be done by by qualified person(s) in accordance with all applicable codes including fire rated construction.
4. Sufficient air is needed for proper combustion and exhausting of gasses through the flue (chimney) or fuel burning equipment to prevent back drafting. Follow the heating equipment manufacturers guideline and safety standards such as those published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the American Society for Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), and the local code authorities
5. When cutting or drilling into wall and ceiling, do not damage electrical wiring and other hidden utilities.
6. Ducted fans must always be vented to the outdoors.
7. To reduce the risk of fire, use only metal ductwork.
8. This fan should only be used with the fan speed control provided by ABBAKA for this model. The ventilator must be installed such that the exhaust discharge is 12” minimum from the ground level. However there may be some local codes that do not permit this type of installation. Heavy snowfall may prevent the damper from opening due to snow blockage. Installer should check local codes for outdoor wall installation.
Caution: For general ventilation use only. Do not use to exhaust hazardous or explosive materials and vapors.
1. For lowest noise operation, place 1 elbow between the range hood and the ventilator. Install an optional ABBAKA Accoustical Duct Silencer.
2. Select an installation location that is free of obstacles such as heating and air conditioning ducts, stand pipes, electrical wiring, etc.
3. Position discharge of the ventilator downward and away from prevailing winds to minimize backdrafts.
4. For best appearance, locate the fan on the rear of the house, below the top of roof line.
Tel. (800) 548-3932 - Fax (800) 548-3930 - firstname.lastname@example.org - www.abbaka.com
P.O. Box 215, Bodega Bay, CA 94923-0215
Model Number: BL-HY-1.0K/BL-HY-1.4K
Maximum CFM: 1000 CFM/1400 CFM
Hertz: 60 Hz
Amps: 3.3 Amps
Required Duct Size:
BL-HY-1.0K: 8" Round (51 sq. in. equivalent)
BL-HY-1.4K: 10" Round (80" sq. in. equivalent)
Prepare Location and Install Ventilator
Flat or Low Slope Roof
- For flat roofs or roofs having a pitch less than 1 1/2" rise in 12, mount ventilator on roof curb. See Figure 1.
- Install the ventilator with discharge pointing down slope and away from prevailing winds.
- Use flashing and roofing mastic to seal the unit to prevent leaks.
- Cut holes for ducting and electrical wiring as shown in Figure 2
Typical Roof Mount
- Center the duct cutout between roof rafters.
- Install the ventilator so its discharge is down slope and away from prevailing winds. According to the Standard Roofing Procedures: (shingles must cover rear flashing flange and a minimum of 1' of the side flanges. The flashing on the discharge side of the ventilator must rest on top of the shingles.
- The ventilator must be sealed between the roof and its underside with quality roofing mastic.
WARNING: Turn off power at the service box before wiring.
- Power supply for the ventilator is 115V AC 60Hz. See page 2 for specifications.
- Run electrical cable between the ventilator and the range hood or ventilator and wall switch. See Figure 3
- Remove top enclosure of the ventilator for access to the wiring terminal block.
- Push the electrical cable up through the bottom knock out of the ventilator body. Pull enough wire up into the housing to make attachment to the terminal block.
- Connect white to "NEU", green to "GND" and red speed control wire to "LINE". See Figure 4
WARNING: To reduce risk of fire, use only metal ductwork.
- Use only round metal duct, elbows and transitions; or rectangular ducting having equivalent area of square inches as per required duct size.
- Tape all joints with duct tape.
- Turn on power and check ventilator operation.
- Make sure damper opens and closes freely.
7 Year Warranty
ABBAKA will repair or replace any part of your product that has a factory defect in workmanship or material. Product must be returned to point of purchase, with Bill of Sale, within seven (7) years of purchase. If factory return is required, as determined by distributor/dealer, the warrantee assumes all cost to and from factory.
The Following Warranties Do Not Apply:
- A. To damages from shipping, either concealed or visible
- To damages resulting from improper wiring or installation.
- To damages or failure caused by Acts of God, or resulting from improper consumer procedures such as a) improper maintenance, b) misuse, abuse, abnormal use, or accident and c) incorrect electrical voltage or current;
- To removal of or any alteration to the ABBAKA label, control number or date of manufacture;
- To any other warranty, expressed, implied or written, and to any consequential or incidental damages, loss of property, revenues, or profit or costs of removal, or reinstallation, for any breach of warranty.
The end user must keep a copy of the Bill of Sale to verify purchase date. Valid proof of the date of installation may also serve as a verification of commencement of warranty period.
ABBAKA RETURN POLICY
Claims for damages or shortages must be reported within ten (10) days of receipt of products(s). For any product(s) received damaged by the forwarding agent, THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE FOLLOWED:
- For products delivered by UPS: a) Concealed Damages: Keep all cartons and fillers. Call UPS for an inspection and notify ABBAKA immediately. b) Visible Damages: Save all cartons and fillers and file complaint directly with UPS.
- For product delivered via a common carrier, file damaged goods claim directly with the freight company.
- Shortages: Sign only for the total number of pieces received and call ABBAKA immediately.
FOR FACTORY RETURN
PRODUCT(S) RETURNED WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ABBAKA WILL NOT ACCEPT THE RETURN OF ANY SPECIAL, NON-STOCK, OBSOLETE OR UNSALABLE PRODUCT(S). ABBAKA MAY, AT ITS OPTION, ACCEPT RETURN OF SALABLE PRODUCT(S) SUBJECT TO A 25% RESTOCKING CHARGE.
- No product(s) will be accepted without a Return Goods Authorization (RGA) number. The number can be obtained by calling ABBAKA at 800-548-3932. Please have Bill of Sale or proof of date of installation available.
- RGA must be clearly marked on outside of carton or delivery will be refused. All product(s) must be returned freight prepaid.
- Product(s) will be repaired/replaced and shipped back to buyer; no credit will be issued.
- Any out of warranty product will be evaluated and buyer will be notified of cost; repair cost will be charged to customer; buyer will be responsible for return freight or product may be returned without action, to the buyer, freight collect. No credit will be issued